The main focus of BSTD is on human resource development. This is achieved through various professional activities such as:
• Designing and conduction innovative and model training programmers.
• Publication of the professional Journal "Proshikhyan" (Training ).
• Conducting research, consultancy and evaluation work.
• Organizing workshops, seminars and conferences of training and human development.
• Observing national training day on 23 January every year.
• Recognizing the best trainers though annual professional award.
• Maintaining liaison with international training and development organizations.
• Informing the trainers about latest developments in the training sector home and abroad through its quarterly news letter "proshikhyan Barta".
In addition, BSTD communicates with the various ministries, departments, and agencies of the government and with NGOs and international organizations in order to promote the cause of training and trainers in Bangladesh.